Fraunhofer Institute Fokus
Fraunhofer Institute Fokus based in Berlin, Germany, is part of the Fraunhofer Society which is one of the leading organizations of applied research and development in Europe. One of the main goals of the Fraunhofer Society is to link scientific work with industrial demands. With its more than 240 employees Fraunhofer FOKUS offers a high-level of expertise in the fields of: Integration of processes an IT systems in eGovernment.
- Communication technologies and services and their interoperability.
- Architectures and protocols of future communication networks and platforms.
- Interactive technologies for individual and community applications.
- Methods for automating and optimizing software and system development in the fields of telecommunication and automotive engineering.
- Measuring and testing of distributed telecommunication and software systems.
Fraunhofer FOKUS is actively engaged along the whole line - from generating future-proof solutions, technology assessment, method validation and standardisation support to project management, quality control and the development of prototypes and operational / security concepts. The institute has a well-known reputation in research programs of the European Commission as well as for national funding bodies like the BMBF and the BMWi.
Fraunhofer FOKUS Competence Centre ELAN for Electronic Government and Applications is a key-player for eGovernment in Germany and on the other hand it is integrated in a widespread European and international network of eGovernment stakeholders. It boasts solid know-how in terms of organisational, semantic and technical interoperability, mobile and secure platforms and services, service-oriented process chains as well as eParticipation, collaborative environments and knowledge management. It develops systems for secure and cooperative eGovernment solutions. These include:
- Standardised interoperable eGovernment systems, architectures and infrastructures for secure and media mismatch free communication between autonomous, heterogeneous eGovernment systems in inter-municipal and cross border application areas.
- In the eGovernment and Secure Identity Laboratories, application oriented research is complemented by feasibility and case studies, the design and development of interoperable prototype solutions and tests and demonstrations. The laboratories facilitate the collective development and integration of innovative concepts, applications and best practice solutions. This service is used for R&D work in cooperation with partners from research and business.
- The development of knowledge-based consultation systems designed to support decision making processes and elevate transparency and consistency in eGovernment processes.
The Fraunhofer FOKUS Laboratories cooperate with over 70 partners from industry and public administration. They include international companies such as IBM, Microsoft, Oracle as well as several administration application vendors.
Fraunhofer FOKUS will contribute to all work packages. A special effort is on WP2, where FOKUS will provide its experience with the FOKUS interoperability Lab with more than 70 partners from industry, government and research to promote the co-creation of the services and promote the Urban City Platform for German government agencies. FOKUS will lead in WP 3 the activity of Assessment of existing telecommunications and services infrastructures. In WP 4 we will lead the activity on open data and contribute our experience in linked data. In WP5 will contribute to the quality assurance of the pilots.
FOKUS is involved several projects, which will serve as best practise input where results are suitable for the iCity proposal.
- Open Data Pilot Project in Berlin: Concept development and elaboration of recommendations for the provision of open public sector information for Berlin and developing and piloting an Open Data platform on behalf of the Berlin Senate for Economy, Technology and Women.
- ENGAGE: Development of infrastructure for the provision of government data to the scientific community.
- Open Cities: Transferring the Open Innovation approach to the public sector. FOKUS is responsible for the development of an Open Data platform for the participating municipalities of Amsterdam, Berlin, Helsinki, Paris, Rome and Barcelona.
- Study Cloud Computing für die öffentliche Verwaltung (Cloud Computing for the Public Sector), ISPRAT Project (Germany), published at http://isprat.net/isprat-projekte/.
- FOKUS also offer to use the eGovernment Lab as test and demo environment and for usability tests.
Fraunhofer FOKUS will contribute to all work packages. A special effort is on WP2, where FOKUS will provide its experience with the FOKUS interoperability Lab with more than 70 partners from industry, government and research to promote the co-creation of the services and promote the Urban City Platform for German government agencies. FOKUS will lead in WP 3 the activity of Assessment of existing telecommunications and services infrastructures. In WP 4 we will lead the activity on open data and contribute our experience in linked data. In WP5 will contribute to the quality assurance of the pilots. In WP6 FOKUS will help evaluate the outcomes of public open innovations.
FOKUS also offer to use the eGovernment Lab as test and demo environment and for usability tests.